Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nantucket Style

In my house search I've fallen in love with a few houses. It seems that each on calls to be made into a beauty in its own style. There was the 1940 home that wanted a farmhouse sink and floral curtains. A 1980's tudor that wanted to be a craftsman with a red door. But this new house doesn't really call out to be something in particular. In a lot of ways it is a blank slate and I can choose whatever I want. Although there are many styles I find beautiful and would very much enjoy making my own, I've always dreamed of living in a traditional colonial-ish house. I love red brick and black shutters. Recently, I've discovered some thing calling itself "Nantucket Style" which seems to be a fresher/seaside take on colonial style. (I would just need to add some cedar shakes to my mostly red brick/black shuttered home :)

I really liked this house at Hooked on Houses.
I especially liked the light fixtures.
I liked how house this house at House Beautiful used unexpected punches of color, like this orange. Orange happens to be my favorite color.

I'm starting to really like grasscloth wallpaper, but I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to use it.Sarah Richardson from HGTV's Sarah's House designed this lovely cottage. Of course, this room is breathe-taking in large part because of what is outside the windows. I'll have to make due with an ordinary Sandy neighborhood view:) But I think I might be able to make it work.

No comments: