Sunday, November 25, 2007

Homemade Croutons

Many expert cooks believe that cooking begins at the store. It is there that the freshest and finest ingredient are hand-selected to perfectly match the desired recipe. In the kitchen each step of the recipe is followed with exactness, resulting in a prefect, predicable product. I am not that type of cook.

To me recipes are simply guidelines; a jumping off point if you will. To me the real fun happens when you look in the cupboard and create something out of nothing.

Here is an example:

· Take some bread (anything will do, some of my favorites croutons were made of leftover hamburger buns)
· Cut the bread into cubes and place in a plastic bag
· Add vinegar, oil (balsamic vinegar and olive oil are my favorites)
· Add seasonings (I always keep an Italian dressing package handy, but you can be creative.)
· Shake together in the bag
· Sauté in a hot skillet, cook until golden (think of grill cheese sandwiches)




4 comments:

mccall said...

Janae, this is why I love you! I love that you are so creative with your cooking! I need to learn that trait from you. I am a recipe follower to a "t"! I just don't trust myself enough to experiment. I still remember the day you came to work with HOMEMADE croutons! I thought that was the coolest thing! And now I have a guideline! I can't wait to try it!

Kendall Watkins said...

I love this blog. It is great. Did you get "the finer things club" from The Office. Ryan and I really enjoyed that if so. Keep the recipes and ideas coming. I wish I could cook like you.

Janae said...

I totally got "Finer Things Club" from The Office. I love that show and I thought the name worked.

shauna said...

I am making your croutons tonight. But, I am far from having your creativity and am not sure how they will turn out. I do miss your cooking.