Monday, September 7, 2009

I Wish I Had Invited You Over

Sometimes my lunch turns out so good, I wish I had invited someone to share it with me. This Black Bean Hummus was just such a lunch. So I guess I'll just have to share via "the internets" and try to inspire you to try it on your own.

I've been a long time fan of do-it-yourself hummus. It satisfy all of my requirements for a perfect food: inexpensive, easy (I nearly always have the ingredients on hand), and healthy.

Any can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans will have the recipes on the back:

1 can of chickpeas with the juice, a garlic glove, salt,1 T olive oil, 1T lemon juice. Blend it all up in a food processor and service with fresh veggies and pita bread.

Today, I tried a little variation. Black bean hummus is just about the same, accept I added some cayenne pepper, black pepper, and olives. A recipe I saw recommended Greek olive, but I put in some green olives and it was very yummy. Overall, the black beans variety seems pretty open to interpretation. So, go give it a try!

6 comments:

Steph said...

Ah, hummus... One of my favorite snacks. I never would have thought to make it with black beans. Thanks for the idea.

Ann-Michelle said...

Do you make it with tahini? I can never find tahini.

I have a jar of roasted red peppers just begging to be made into hummus.

Janae said...

I'd never heard of tahini before this recipe. So I googled it -- sounds good. I'm a sucker for anything sesame. I would check that Many Lands store across from the hospital in Provo. Roasted red pepper in hummus is very good.

Ann-Michelle said...

I think Sunflower Market might have it. Emily gets it at Whole Foods. Once Emily brought me dolmas from whole foods that were awesome.

bonnie jack said...

so do you use black beans instead of the chickpeas, or in addition to them? i ask as if i am ever going to make hummus. maybe i will.

Janae said...

You use black bean in place of the chickpeas. You should totally make it, Bonnie :)